15 December 2011

Luther on Advent IV

Before God we say:  Before you, Lord, I am lost on account of my holiness and works; because of them I long to be merely an old rag at the feet of Christ, my Lord, for because of my life I am worthy of nothing else but to be cast by him into hell; but since he has come to redeem from sin and death and to sanctify me, I desire his eternal holiness. This is how we come to heaven.  ... Let us look to the finger and mouth of John with which he bears witness and points, so that we do not close our eyes to or lose our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, for to the present day John still very diligently, faithfully, and richly points and directs us here, in order that we might be saved.  May our dear Lord God and Father grant this to us through His Son, Jesus Christ.  Amen.  (HP I:90,91)

No comments: